Scooter is Spring Cleaning and Ready to Welcome His Wild Bird Pals… and All Their Yummy Seed!!
Proper cleaning and repair on houses, feeders and fountains will ensure a healthy backyard habitat and repeat breeding of our favorite Florida wild birds for years to come. Here are a few ways to keep your backyard habitat clean, healthy and safe for Florida’s wild bird visitors:
- Clean feeders, houses and baths using mild soap and water. Tough stains may be removed by dabbing baking soda and vinegar on the spots. Allow to sit for a few minutes then scrub with a toothbrush. If possible, allow to dry outdoors in the sun. Luckily, in Florida, sunlight is easily had on most days.
- Trim hedges near feeders, houses and baths. Keeping the area free from unwanted growth will provide an easier view of visiting wild birds and will promote newer and healthier plant growth preferred by Florida’s wild birds for nesting and perching.
- If nearby structures like yard art or fencing are often used by your visiting birds or other wild life, like Scooter and his pals, make sure to clean these surfaces as well. Because surfaces like these are often overlooked during spring cleaning, they can carry disease and fall into disrepair which can prove harmful Florida’s wild birds and other backyard habitat visitors.
- Is it wood? While many houses and feeders are made of economical wood products, they often break down after only a season of use. Inexpensive, mass produced wild bird houses and feeders are often made of unsealed pine or balsa wood. While wood feeders and houses are a good option, unless properly constructed, they can be difficult to clean as they are prone to absorb waste and other natural stains. Many of WBU’s wild bird feeders, houses and supplies are made in America from recycled milk jugs, have a lifetime guarantee and are easily cleaned and maintained.
- Is it painted? Some mass produced wild bird feeders, houses and baths can contain harmful paint which can chip and be consumed by Florida’s wild birds. Wild Birds Unlimited in Clearwater/Safety Harbor has a full line of feeders, houses and backyard habitat supplies perfect for a neat, clean and healthy backyard habitat.
For an easy to clean, durable option for your backyard habitat needs this Spring, WBU Clearwater/Safety Harbor Florida suggests these great products:
- Posted in: backyard habitat ♦ bird feeding ♦ bird watching ♦ spring ♦ Uncategorized ♦ wild bird ♦ wild birds unlimited
- Tagged: backyard, backyard habitat, Bird feeder, bird watching, birds, Birdwatching, Clearwater, Clearwater Florida, Florida, northwood commons, safety harbor, Scooter, spring, wild birds unlimited